– Deadline: April 1, 2017 –
Applications from qualified applicants will be accepted until April 1, 2017. Before applying, ETE strongly encourages applicants to read the Empowerment Through Education information Flyer and also the Empowerment Through Education Application Frequently Asked Questions document. These two documents will assist applicants in determining their eligibility and guide them in the application process.
- Successfully completed a secondary education, with good to excellent grades
- Will be studying in his or her country or another country in the developing world
- Plans to live and work in his or her own country after graduation
- Has volunteered prior to applying for this scholarship and/or is willing to volunteer while receiving the WMF scholarship
- May have some other funds available for his or her education, but will not be able to go to school without a scholarship
The scholarship awards are determined by the board of directors of the Wells Mountain Foundation and awarded once a year. Applications must be received by April 1 of each year to be considered for the following academic year. The selected WMF Scholarship recipients will be emailed on August 1. Their names will also be published on our website homepage and the WMF Facebook page. Those who do not receive a scholarship will also be notified after August.
Tips for Becoming a Competitive Applicant
The following are suggestions to enhance your Empowerment Through Education scholarship application:
- Become a member of a community service group and record all of your service activities (dates, activities, time spent, photographs, etc.)
- Collect your secondary school transcript, national exam results and grading keys to interpret your results
- Request two letters of recommendation on official stationery from two people who know you professionally/personally and can showcase the reasons you deserve this scholarship
- Have all of your documents translated into English
- Always apply to the Empowerment Through Education Scholarship with the current application form (If it is for the year 2017, apply only with the 2017 application)
The following are required elements for an application to be considered complete:
- Clear personal photo
- Two essays (topics are stated on application form)
- 2017 application form
- Personal essay statement
- Two recommendation letters*
- Official transcript of grades from secondary school
- Official grading key to interpret grades**
- Official transcript of grades from tertiary studies (if applicable)
- Official grading key to interpret grades**
- Official results from your national exam
- Official grading key to interpret scores on your national exam**
Official grading keys must be provided by the school issuing the grades or the government issuing the national exam. Grading keys that are not official will result in your application being disqualified. Contact your secondary school, university, or government for this document.
How To Apply
If you qualify, now is the time to apply for this exciting opportunity! Since 2005, ETE has supported more than 175 students worldwide. Please note that in recent years, ETE has only been able to select approximately 3% of applicants to become a part of this program. The number selected is based solely upon limited funding, as nearly all applicants are extremely deserving. As the organization grows, so will the Empowerment Through Education program. ETE therefore encourages you to apply AND to continue searching for additional ways to finance your education.
There are two ways to apply: Online, or by mailing in a completed application packet to the ETE office.
APPLYING ONLINE: Applicants will be redirected to a portal where they will be asked to create a free account (username and password), fill out information and upload documents. ETE strongly suggests that interested persons apply online as it provides them the opportunity to save their work and return multiple times. It also guarantees that applications, once submitted online, will be received and reviewed.
MAIL-IN: You will need to print the 2017 application form and it is your responsibility to clearly complete it and attach all required supporting documents before sending it to us. Applications must be received by April 1, 2017 in our office. Applications that arrive after April 1, 2017 will not be reviewed. This means that you must allow at least three weeks to mail your application to us from abroad. Only send one completed application. Incomplete or additional mailings with supporting documents will be discarded. We highly encourage applicants to apply online to ensure the delivery of their completed application. DO NOT email us completed applications with multiple attachments; we do not accept applications sent via email.
To apply: Please click here